Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Storytelling Week 11: Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree

Once upon a time there were two rugby players.  One player was a veteran, she had played for many years and her time was almost up.  The second was a rookie, the sun was just rising on her time and she was filled with promise and potential.  The two trained side by side day in and day out.  The veteran was so proud of her rookie.  She taught her everything she knew about the sport.  She taught her the social aspect and the physical skills, the emotional grit and the athletic prestige.  As the rookie learned more and more about rugby the sport took hold of her soul and she was determined to strive to be the best player on the pitch.

During one intense battle on the pitch a key moment in our story occurred.  The veteran got stepped.  Her opponent juked her out and broke away from the line.  The odds looked bleak and the veteran thought she had let someone go for a try on her.  However, at the last moment the rookie corner flagged the break away, and held up the try.  The vet was saved by the rookie.  The team was thrilled at the rookies efforts.  However, the veteran felt undermined for reasons unknown.

After the match at the social the veteran talked to the rookie.  She congratulated her on her success and efforts in the match.  The rookie gracefully accepted all her compliments and thanked her for being her mentor.  As the night went on the veteran’s feelings of contempt for the rookie’s fast developing skills were quelled.  She realized that her time was setting on the pitch but that her skills could be passed on through the new players to come.  She realized that teaching the rookie all she knew would preserve her legends on the pitch and that she would always be a rugger. 


Woman of the Match Austin 2015
Personal Photograph



Author’s Note:  This story is a loose post about Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree.  The story is a Celtic version of Snow White.  The story is essentially the same Snow White that all kids grow up hearing.  A mother gets jealous of her daughters beauty and then sets out to conspire against her.  I related my story to rugby because basically that’s all I ever think about.  However, when it comes down to it no one would ever conspire against his or her teammate like that in a rugby situation.  Rookies and Veterans have unique relationships because they teach one another different things.  Veterans pass on their knowledge and rookies bring their spirits to the pitch to make something new.  The image I used this week is from my own personal photographs.  My coach awarded me woman of the match this past weekend in Austin after our match against the Austin Valkyries.  

Book- Celtic Fairy Tales
Author- Joseph Jacobs
Year- 1892

8 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting retelling. I didn't read the story, but i'm familiar with the Snow White fairy tale and until I read your author's not did not make the connection. I liked your story and felt like it taught an important lesson about jealousy. I have to admit some of the terminology was lost on me, but it didn't take away from the story. I enjoy watching rugby. I feel like it has a lot of camaraderie associated with it, that is really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is so unique! I know nothing about rugby, so I was a little lost in the vocabulary. It's great that you tell the story through something that you personally love. I try to do that every week as well in my stories. I would have had no idea that this was derived from Snow White. I guess I need to watch the movie again. It's been like fifteen years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    I think that relating this well-known story to something you love was awesome. My friend use to play for the OU men’s team so I have been to a few matches but I am by no means an expert. One thing I do know is that you are right about the relationship between teammates. Congratulations on your award and good luck with the rest of your season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you incorporated rugby into your story this week! I didn't understand all of the terminology, but I still really enjoyed the story.
    One thing I did notice was that you types rookies, when I think you meant to put rookie's in the second paragraph, second to last sentence.
    I would have never guessed that the original story was snow white. I like how you really made this story your own. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again I think its very cool that you like your sport as much as you do and use it here as a storytelling post. It seems like you are very passionate about rugby and its awesome that you are loving it so much. Congratulations on being awarded woman of the match! That had to be pretty awesome. Good luck with the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a really good job tying in rugby with the original story. I read another one of your stories a couple weeks ago, and it was about rugby too. You have really taken a creative approach to your storytelling and the personal touches are awesome. I liked the ending of this story quite a bit. It was nice to see that the vet came to terms with the rookie’s success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another good job for this story, Rachel! I like that you have developed rugby as a theme in your storytelling. It also gives me the opportunity to learn more about the sport! Your tale was fast paced yet entertaining to keep up with. I enjoyed how easy to read it was and how well you paid attention to detail. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete