Monday, February 23, 2015

Reading Diary A: The Monkey King

This week for my story unit I have decided to read The Monkey King story unit from the Asia section of stories.  I decided to read this story because of the title of the unit.  I decided to select this week’s unit based on title alone so I didn’t know what the story would be about when I selected it.

As it turns out the Monkey King is a very popular story in Chinese culture.  Sun Wu Kung is the name of the monkey king and his story is well known across all of China.  The story is set up as somewhat of a story of enlightenment and to my knowledge it will evolve into a lesson in Buddhism. 


The first half of this story is very interesting to me because of the real life applications you can draw from the content.  The characters are animals and they are clearly living in a fantasy setting but the lessons and metaphors can be considered in a scope of reality without a doubt.  I think that stories that can incorporate elements of fantasy and reality simultaneously are some of the most successful stories written.  These kind of stories provide entertaining tales for children, but when the children grown up and re-read these tales they can see the lessons they were being taught at a young age.  It takes a legitimate kind of creativity and writing talent to accomplish a story that can have this kind of affect.    


The Monkey King by Yoshitoshi
Image taken from the UnTextBook

No comments:

Post a Comment