Monday, February 2, 2015

Voyages of Sinbad: Reading Diary A

This week I have decided to read the story unit on the Voyages of Sinbad.  In a previous assignment I actually selected this story as somewhat of an interest area so I think it is only fitting that I follow up and explore my interests!

This unit is once again different then the units I have read previously.  The point of view of this story unit is told in first person.  It’s the first unit I have read for this class that tells the story from the “I” perspective.  Instead of reading a story as if it is being read to someone else this week feels like the author is directly addressing me. 

I was interested in reading this story because when I was younger one of my favorite movies that I used to watch with my sister was about Sinbad.  The voices of Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta-Jones brought to life an animated version of some of Sinbad’s tales. I was interested to see how these tales were originally told and how many the movie elected to depict.


The first story in this unit is entitled the FirstVoyage.  This story is actually depicted in the movie version of Sinbad from my childhood.  The movie version and the story unit are different in some regards but they are undoubtedly a reference to the same occurrence.  The story is about how Sinbad and his crew come to reside on an island in the middle of the ocean.  Although it turns out that the island is in fact a giant whale, in the movie it was just a big fish.  It was really cool to see the differences in the telling of the story.  As a child I appreciated the movie version, but now I think the written version is more favorable.    

Sinbad Movie Poster from My Childhood
Image Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment