Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Essay: Jewish Fairy Tales

This week my storybook unit was the Jewish Fairy Tales section.  The section featured 11 short stories from the Jewish culture.  The overview of the unit determined that the stories come both from biblical origin as well as more recent and present times. 

Overall, I thought this unit was very enjoyable.  I could both appreciate and somewhat disliked the mixture of stories from different parts of Jewish culture.  I think my first glance opinion of this story unit was that it would be less religiously based than it was.  However, being a part of the Biblical section of the class should have clued me into to such a factor.  Perhaps a separate unit between Jewish religious stories and Jewish fairy tales in general, such as old wives’ tales and such would provide more clarification. 

Having experience wit biblical teachings and biblical stories allowed me to seamlessly understand who was being spoken about in different stories.  For example, who Noah, Abraham, the Pharaoh, and other biblical characters being placed into stories wasn’t a problem for me.  However, for individuals without that kind of experience some background information of these characters and their significance may be beneficial to the full enjoyment of the stories.    

Several pieces of different stories surprised me.  Particularly the story about Noah and Og the Giant, The Giant of the Flood, was surprising to me.  I would not have pictured the Jewish culture telling a story involving a giant in the midst of the great flood.  Also, a unicorn being present in this story threw me for somewhat of a loop.  Simply because I didn’t expect that kind of fantasy to be worked into a biblical rooted story.

Og and the Unicorn
Photo acquired from The UnTextbook



This story unit provided me with a good look into the Jewish Fairy Tales, which is what I sought to gain by reading this section.  I can see somewhat tangencies to the other story units that I reviewed during week one in their construction and voice from which the story is told. 

No comments:

Post a Comment