Monday, January 12, 2015

My Storybook Favorites

I found my three Storybook examples from the Storybook List for Myth-Folklore.

The three I have chosen to explore as examples are: 

My first example Mean Girls Morals which attracted my attention because Mean Girls is essentially the cult movie for my generation.  The introduction made this story seem like a really interesting concept.  The spin-off direction that the author chose to take is very creative.  Undoubtedly, I will be reading this story in its entirety because the beginning was so grasping. 

The Real Veggie Tales is my second example that I chose to explore more in-depth.  I was attracted to this story because of the title.  Veggie Tales used to play religiously in my household when I was a child.  The introduction outlines a story that was not anything remotely close to what I was expecting.  That being said I think the author’s approach as a psychiatrist for these misunderstood vegetables is quite a clever way of outlining his or her intro. 

Finally, my last storybook example is The Help: The Stories of Cinderella.  This storybook project strikes me as being rather different than my previous choices.  The Stories of Cinderella focuses not merely on one area of story telling; rather this storybook focuses on several different story lines from around the world.  Thus the author can highlight various similarities in global story telling, and also exemplify the differences in similar plots.  This storybook is somewhat of a statement as to how storytelling is a global phenomenon.  This phenomenon can be used to teach lessons, preserve history, or simply keep one’s imagination alive and well.


Every storybook I selected is unique and original in its own light.  These authors are all brilliant examples of creativity and good writing. After reading and thinking about their storybooks I have several ideas for my own writing as the class progresses. 

Karen from Mean Girls
From the Movie Mean Girls
Acquired from the website http://kisscosmetics.co.uk/blog/?p=114

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you found Storybooks that clicked for you, Rachel - super! That Mean Girls Storybook in particular is really fascinating: I did not realize how iconic that movie was, but again and again the title grabs people's attention, and it often shows up as a favorite. Plus, it is a really perfect use of Aesop's fables: he would approve I am sure! The way that every Storybook is different is what makes it so exciting for me to teach these classes; every semester is different from any semester before, with new topics, new styles, new everything — I am excited to see what this semester's Storybooks will be!

    About links in blog posts: the way to do links is definitely the way you did there in your paragraphs, with link text. That way people know what they are clicking on; the raw http (like you have up at the top) doesn't let people know what they are going. Http is something computers understand; humans need actual words. There are some notes about that here; the same link-text thing applies for webpages just like for blog posts, but every system has a different way of doing that: Creating Links. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love the stories that you picked! I definitely agree that Mean Girls is definitely the cult movie of our generation. I really hate to admit it because I personally don't even think that its a very good movie, but oh well. When I was little, I used to love going to Sunday School just because we would always watch Veggie Tales. I feel it would be very interesting to read these stories.

    ReplyDelete