Saturday, January 24, 2015

Potential Project Topics

Fairy Tales in Real Life
Image from StumbleUpon


Topic: Norse Mythology
Comments: A big part of Norse mythology that I have always been interest in is the concept of Valkyries and Valhalla.  The idea that worthy and strong warriors will be carried off the battle field as souls and delivered to Valhalla seems very similar to a Heaven concept.  Although, Valhalla would be a warrior heaven, to my current understanding. 
 Possible Stories: The Sacred Archives as well as Google Books both have a multitude of stories related to Norse mythology.  Stories about Asgard, Odin, Thor, and Valhalla are particularly popular among many sources.
Sample Story: Google Books had a text called The Nine Worlds: Stories from Norse Mythology with a very interesting story about how the gods determined the placement of souls among the realms.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story- The Judgement Hall of the Dead  
Book Title- The Nine Worlds: Stories from Norse Mythology
Book Author- Mary Elizabeth Litchfield
Year- 1894

Topic: Australian Legends and Folktales
Comments: I think Australia is a really intriguing country.  The history is very rich and somewhat deviant from the normal societal progression.  Another reason I think it’s so fascinating is because everything seems so dangerous in the outback, I think going on a walkabout would be a really challenging but thrilling experience.
Possible Stories: The book I found on Australian legends comes from Google Books.  The book has a good amount of stories in its table of contents and I am confident that I could find more sources if necessary.
Sample Story: For my sample story I read about how the platypus came to exist.  The legend behind the dawn of the platypus actually makes quite a bit of sense and I can see how the tangencies would be drawn in that order.
Bibliography Information:
Book Title- More Australian Legends and Tales
Book Author- Katie Langloh Park
Year- 1898

Topic:  Arabian Nights
Comments: The 1001 Nights is a very well known story across most cultures.  I think writing a storybook project about these tales would provide a lot of interesting angles.
Sample Story: In the UnTextbook unit for Arabian Nights the story Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp 1 the beginning of Aladdin’s story is outlined.  I think this story is interesting and stands out in this unit because it feds into a long plot line with more time to devolve and grow as a story.
Bibliography:
Book Title: The Arabian Nights Entertainments
Book Author: Andrew Lang
Year: 1898

Topic: Grimm
Comments: The fairy tales from the Brothers Grimm were stories that were frequently told to me as a child.  The opportunity to go back and not only re-read but create something new with them would be very challenging, but in a good way.
Sample Story: The Six Swans is actually a fairytale that I’m unfamiliar with.  For purposes of this exercise I only read the first part, but the excerpt that I read was very attention grabbing and I plan on going back to read the rest.
Bibliography:
Sample Story: The Six Swans
Book Title: Household Stories from the Brothers Grimm
Translated By: Lucy Crane

Year: 1886


1 comment:

  1. I, too, have often found Norse mythology quite interesting. It doesn't have anything to do with real mythology, but there is a company called Schiit Audio (pronounced just as you'd imagine - www.schiit.com) that names all of there products after Norse gods. Other than that, there are already a lot of interesting versions of Norse mythology, so I think it would be interesting to write another.

    ReplyDelete