Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Ovid's Metamorphoses Reading Diary B

In the second half of Ovid’s Metamorphoses unit the legends from ancient Greece continue to spill from the author.  These stories are continuously told on the same voice perspective as if an adult were reading these stories to a small child.  The stories all come from different pieces of greek mythology so seeing them inter woven together into a singular unit is really interesting. 

The story that struck me as interesting in the second half of the unit was the section was Pygmalion.  This story section was particularly interesting because last semester in my History of American Musical Theatre class we learned about how Pygmalion was the source material for the musical My Fair Lady.  Anyone who has ever seen or heard of My Fair Lady knows that it was a very successful piece of musical theatre and very valuable to the start of Julie Andrews’ career. 

Personally, having seen My Fair Lady several times and knowing that Pygmalion is the source material reading the story was a very interesting new perspective.  In some regards I can see how the thematic content ties together and where the inspiration can be seen weaving in and out of the two stories.  However, on the other hand the two are still very different and individual in their own artistic realms. 


After reading the Ovid’s Metamorphoses unit I’m glad this is the unit I decided to read.  The unit was a very different style of writing from my previous selection.  The change of style and content makes me feel like the materials in this class offer a broad range of topics which is a key part of furthering knowledge in my opinion. 

Original Soundtrack from My Fair Lady
Original Artwork from UK Vinyl 

No comments:

Post a Comment